To cook fries in an air fryer, coat the cut potatoes with about one tablespoon of olive oil and place them in the basket. (20 words) If you’re looking for a healthier alternative to deep-fried fries, using an air fryer is a great option.
Air frying produces crispy and delicious fries with significantly less oil. It’s a simple process that only requires a few basic steps. We will guide you on how to cook fries in an air fryer, so you can enjoy a guilt-free snack or side dish.
Whether you prefer shoestring fries or thick-cut wedges, we’ll provide you with the tips and tricks to achieve crispy and perfectly cooked fries every time. So let’s get started and learn how to make delicious fries in an air fryer.
1. Choose The Right Potatoes
To cook fries in an air fryer, it is important to start by choosing the right potatoes. Opt for russet or Yukon gold potatoes as they have a higher starch content that results in crispier fries when air fried.
Selecting The Right Type Of Potatoes For Air Frying:
When it comes to making crispy and delicious fries in an air fryer, selecting the right type of potatoes is crucial. Not all potatoes are created equal, and some varieties work better than others for achieving that perfect crunch. Here are a few factors to consider when choosing your potatoes:
- Russet Potatoes: Russet potatoes are widely regarded as the best potatoes for making fries. They have a high starch content and low moisture, which helps them crisp up nicely in the air fryer.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes: Another great option for air frying is Yukon Gold potatoes. They have a slightly lower starch content compared to russet potatoes, but they still yield delicious, crispy fries.
- Sweet Potatoes: If you prefer sweet potato fries, you’re in luck! Sweet potatoes can also be cooked in an air fryer to achieve a crispy texture. Just keep in mind that they may require a slightly longer cooking time.
- New Potatoes: While russet and Yukon Gold potatoes are the top choices for fries, you can also experiment with new potatoes. These small, waxy potatoes have a unique texture and flavor that can add a tasty twist to your air-fried fries.
When selecting potatoes for air frying, always look for ones that are firm and free from blemishes or sprouts. And don’t forget to wash and dry them thoroughly before cooking. Now that you know how to choose the right type of potatoes, it’s time to get cooking and enjoy some deliciously crispy air-fried fries!
2. Preparing The Potatoes
To prepare the potatoes for cooking fries in an air fryer, simply cut them into desired shapes and sizes, coat them lightly with olive oil, and season with salt or your preferred seasoning. Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket and cook according to the air fryer’s instructions until crispy and golden brown.
Wash And Peel The Potatoes
- Start by washing the potatoes under cool running water to remove any dirt or debris.
- After washing, use a peeler to remove the potato skins. Make sure to remove all the outer skin evenly.
Cut The Potatoes Into Uniform Shapes And Sizes
- Once the potatoes are peeled, cut them into uniform shapes and sizes. This will ensure that they cook evenly in the air frye.
- You can cut the potatoes into thin fries for a crispier texture, or thicker fries for a softer, more substantial bite.
Soak The Cut Potatoes To Remove Excess Starch
- After cutting the potatoes, it’s essential to soak them in water to remove excess starch. Soaking helps the fries become crispier when cooked in the air fryer.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and place the cut potatoes in it. Allow them to soak for at least 20 minutes.
- After soaking, drain the potatoes and pat them dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
Remember to wash and peel the potatoes before cutting them into uniform shapes and sizes. Soak the cut potatoes to remove excess starch, allowing them to become crispier when cooked in the air fryer. By following these steps, you’ll be on your way to delicious homemade fries!
3. Seasoning And Cooking The Fries
To season and cook fries in an air fryer, simply coat them in olive oil, sprinkle with seasoning salt, and air fry them for about 20 minutes. Enjoy crispy and delicious homemade fries without the extra oil!
Coat The Potatoes With A Small Amount Of Oil:
- Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil on the sliced potatoes.
- Use your hands or a spoon to evenly coat the potatoes with the oil.
- The oil will help the fries become crispy in the air fryer.
Season The Fries With Your Desired Seasonings:
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, or any other seasonings you prefer on the oiled potatoes.
- Toss the potatoes gently to ensure the seasonings are evenly distributed.
- Feel free to get creative and experiment with different flavor combinations.
Preheat The Air Fryer:
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for a few minutes.
- Preheating ensures that the fries start cooking immediately and become crispy.
Place The Seasoned Fries In The Air Fryer Basket:
- Open the air fryer basket and place the seasoned fries inside.
- Spread the fries out in a single layer, ensuring they are not overcrowded.
- This allows the hot air to circulate around the fries, resulting in even cooking and crispiness.
Set The Cooking Time And Temperature For Optimal Crispiness And Doneness:
- Set the air fryer to cook at 400°F (200°C) for approximately 15 minutes.
- Cooking times may vary depending on the thickness of the fries and personal preference.
- Keep an eye on the fries and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Shake Or Flip The Fries Halfway Through Cooking:
- After about 7-8 minutes of cooking, open the air fryer and shake the basket or flip the fries using tongs.
- This ensures all sides of the fries are cooked evenly and helps them become crispy.
Adjust Cooking Time Based On Desired Crispiness:
- If you prefer your fries extra crispy, cook them for a few minutes longer.
- For softer fries, reduce the cooking time slightly.
- Keep testing the fries for your desired level of doneness.
By following these steps, you can enjoy deliciously crispy and perfectly seasoned fries cooked in an air fryer. Experiment with different seasonings and dipping sauces to elevate your fries to the next level.
4. Serving And Enjoying
Learn how to cook fries in an air fryer with these easy steps. Enjoy crispy, delicious fries without the need for excessive oil.
Remove The Cooked Fries From The Air Fryer:
- Carefully open the air fryer basket or tray, taking caution as it may still be hot.
- Use a pair of tongs or a spatula to gently transfer the cooked fries onto a serving dish or plate.
- Avoid stacking the fries on top of each other to maintain their crispy texture.
Season With Additional Salt Or Spices If Desired:
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt or your preferred spices over the cooked fries to enhance their flavor.
- Popular options for seasoning include garlic powder, paprika, or Cajun seasoning.
- Remember to season sparingly at first and adjust according to your taste preferences.
Serve The Crispy And Delicious Air-Fried Fries Immediately:
- Enjoy the air-fried fries while they are still hot and crispy for the best taste and texture.
- Air-fried fries tend to lose their crispiness if left sitting for too long.
- Serve them as a standalone snack, a side dish to your meal, or as finger food for gatherings.
Pair With Your Favorite Dipping Sauces Or Condiments:
- Offer a variety of dipping sauce options to elevate the flavor of your air-fried fries.
- Classic choices include ketchup, mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, or ranch dressing.
- Get creative and explore unique condiments like aioli, sriracha mayo, or truffle aioli for a gourmet twist.
Enjoy The Satisfying Crunch And Taste Of Air-Fried Fries:
- Sink your teeth into the crispy exterior of the fries, revealing the fluffy potato inside.
- Appreciate the guilt-free indulgence of air-fried fries, which require less oil compared to traditional deep-frying methods.
- Share the joy of perfectly cooked fries with your friends and family, savoring every bite.
Frequently Asked Questions For How To Cook Fries In Air Fryer
How Long Do Fries Take In An Air Fryer?
Fries in an air fryer typically take around 20 minutes to cook.
How Do You Cook Frozen Fries In An Air Fryer?
To cook frozen fries in an air fryer, simply preheat the air fryer to the recommended temperature and then place the frozen fries in the fryer basket. Cook for the recommended time, shaking the basket occasionally for even cooking. Serve and enjoy crispy fries.
Do I Put Oil In My Air Fryer For Fries?
To make fries in an air fryer, you only need to use about one tablespoon of olive oil. Coat the cut fries with oil and place them in the air fryer basket.
Can You Put Raw Potatoes In An Air Fryer?
Yes, you can put raw potatoes in an air fryer.
How Do I Cook Fries In An Air Fryer?
To cook fries in an air fryer, simply toss them with a tablespoon of olive oil, place them in the basket, and cook at a high temperature for 15-20 minutes until golden and crispy.
Cooking fries in an air fryer has become a game-changer for many food enthusiasts. The crispiness and flavor achieved with this method are unbeatable, and it’s so easy to do! By following a few simple steps, you can enjoy restaurant-quality fries right in the comfort of your own home.
Start by preheating your air fryer and tossing the cut potatoes in a tablespoon of olive oil. Spread them out evenly in the air fryer basket and cook for the recommended time. The result? Perfectly golden and crispy fries that are healthier than traditional deep-fried ones.
Experiment with seasonings like sea salt, black pepper, or even a sprinkle of parmesan cheese for added flavor. Whether you’re serving them as a side dish or indulging in a late-night snack, these air-fried fries are sure to impress. So, why wait?
Get your air fryer ready and start enjoying delicious, guilt-free fries today!